[OpenIndiana-discuss] Linux vs. Solaris

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Mar 30 01:03:41 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 08:00 AM, Ken Gunderson wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 07:51 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 04:15 AM, Gabriel de la Cruz wrote:
>>> The Solaris OS was carefully designed as a product, Linux is a
>>> combination of technollogies carefully developed to interact with
>>> eachother but created in independent projects. Both of them a very
>>> well made, but the way how all the parts within Solaris relate to
>>> eachother is more consistent.
>>>
>>> Solaris and linux are like 2 different languages, both ritch on their
>>> own way, why shoulnt we write phylosopy in German?
>>>

>> Er...certainly the core is a carefully designed product but I would not
>> go so far as to claim the whole of Solaris is a carefully designed product.
>>
>> Anyway, when will KDE be brought on board instead of that directionless
>> excuse for a desktop environment called GNOME?
>
> Ha!  Why anyone would want, or indeed, could even use that bug ridden
> pos they call kde these days is beyond me....
>
> fyi- I was a kde1, 2, and to some extent kde3 user before I gave up and
> switched to Xfce4.  Changing platform to OS made Gnome one of the pills
> I had to swallow.  And a jagged little pill it was, as I formerly
> detested it.  After some time using it, however, I began to appreciate
> Gnome.  I test drive the latest and not so greatest KDE4 from time to
> time on Linux boxes and am amazed at just how badly they missed it....

Yes, Kubuntu is a complete disaster. Not the KDE team's fault though I
don't think. The Kubuntu devs botched it real bad. On another note, I
have heard that users of KDE on OpenSolaris are happy with it?

I stopped using OpenSolaris as a desktop after I have had enough of GNOME...

> The point being, to each their own.  Gnome works on Solaris.  And pretty
> much works on OI.  Better places to invest limited developer engergies
> and talent than incorporating KDE, imho.  You got a really, really bad
> itch??

Yes. OI for the desktop. Not quite the focus of illumos or OI but the
KDE team are doing something on this score...