[OpenIndiana-discuss] Linux vs. Solaris

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Wed Mar 30 23:03:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 13:17 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> >> Yes, Kubuntu is a complete disaster. Not the KDE team's fault though I
> >> don't think. The Kubuntu devs botched it real bad. On another note, I
> >> have heard that users of KDE on OpenSolaris are happy with it?
> >
> > Who ever said anything about K/Ubuntu, mon?  Imho, Ubuntu is for lamers
> > who're not quite bright enough to use a real operating system....
>
> Or those who would rather not have to recompile kernel modules for their
> Nvidia card. I'd be using Centos if I did not have to mess about every
> time the kernel gets an update/security fix.
>

> >> I stopped using OpenSolaris as a desktop after I have had enough of GNOME...
> >
> > My experience is opposite - the more I use Gnome, the greater my
> > appreciation.  Every once in a while I go retro and take Xfce or LXDE
> > for a spin, or even more retro and roll by own on top of OpenBOX.  While
> > each has it's pros and cons, I keep coming back to Gnome because it just
> > works and I've better things to do with my time than tweak my
> > workstation desktop ad nauseum.
> >

> Just works? Good for you. Broken NetworkManager on Ubuntu, crashing
> Thunderbird, uber memory hog. I wonder if XFCE would have been better
> off not using GTK but ah well.

Well, there you go again.  Mayhaps your problems are more Ubuntu than
Gnome related?  In my experience Ubuntu has more glitches than Inspector
Gadget. In fact, just today migrated a coworker from Ubuntu to Debian.
That which would not work in Ubuntu worked as advertised on Debian -
same hardware.

> The Desktop on UNIX/Linux is just a mess. Period. I hope OSS4 gives
> something better than the sun audio interface it is replacing (or did I
> read that wrong?) and some strides are made elsewhere for the desktop.

Audio interface needs help.  Just after a big revamp, still does not
support many common sound cards.  Oh well, drivers anyone?

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>