[OpenIndiana-discuss] Linux vs. Solaris

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Mar 31 14:46:24 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 31, 2011 07:03 AM, Ken Gunderson wrote:

>>> Who ever said anything about K/Ubuntu, mon?  Imho, Ubuntu is for lamers
>>> who're not quite bright enough to use a real operating system....
>>
>> Or those who would rather not have to recompile kernel modules for their
>> Nvidia card. I'd be using Centos if I did not have to mess about every
>> time the kernel gets an update/security fix.

>>> My experience is opposite - the more I use Gnome, the greater my
>>> appreciation.  Every once in a while I go retro and take Xfce or LXDE
>>> for a spin, or even more retro and roll by own on top of OpenBOX.  While
>>> each has it's pros and cons, I keep coming back to Gnome because it just
>>> works and I've better things to do with my time than tweak my
>>> workstation desktop ad nauseum.
>>>

>> Just works? Good for you. Broken NetworkManager on Ubuntu, crashing
>> Thunderbird, uber memory hog. I wonder if XFCE would have been better
>> off not using GTK but ah well.
>
> Well, there you go again.  Mayhaps your problems are more Ubuntu than
> Gnome related?  In my experience Ubuntu has more glitches than Inspector
> Gadget. In fact, just today migrated a coworker from Ubuntu to Debian.
> That which would not work in Ubuntu worked as advertised on Debian -
> same hardware.

The crashing thunderbird was on OpenSolaris - that was what made me move
back to a Linux distro (Kubuntu - did not want to bother with Nvidia
driver recompiles on Centos). Did not have it on Ubuntu 8.04 -> 9.04. I
have it now on 10.04 but I first had it on OpenSolaris (not counting
when thunderbird was pre 1.0 on whatever). Issues with GTK linked
software has a long history. I guess that is where my bias comes from.
GNOME is usable - I don't really care about how it looks - but never
quite stable for me. I was a Redhat/Centos guy. I had to learn the
differences of both Ubuntu and OpenSolaris. When I get a consistent
problem on two different operating systems, I start pointing fingers.

>> The Desktop on UNIX/Linux is just a mess. Period. I hope OSS4 gives
>> something better than the sun audio interface it is replacing (or did I
>> read that wrong?) and some strides are made elsewhere for the desktop.
>

> Audio interface needs help.  Just after a big revamp, still does not
> support many common sound cards.  Oh well, drivers anyone?

Audio interface revamp meaning sun audio or oss4?