[OpenIndiana-discuss] Choice of disks: Will 4kB Blocksize Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 64MB 2TB work OK in OI148??

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Sat May 7 03:28:24 UTC 2011

On 06/05/2011, at 10:26 PM, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:

> Rather, question is how to deal with the 4kB block size!
> Choice of disks: Will 4kB Blocksize  Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 64MB 2TB work OK in OI148??

I have one of these drives in my system, mirrored against a 512b sector Samsung drive.

The drive reports to the system that it has 512 byte sectors (it's emulated) and works just fine.

As far as I understand, the modified zpool with ashift=12 will make it work better. For a new pool, i'd go that way. Note that ashift=12 isn't supported for boot pools, but neither is concatenated volumes either.

So if you make a smaller partition for the system, formatted with defatul ashift=9 and the the bigger data pool with ashift=12 you should be in good shape.

Best,
Matt