[OpenIndiana-discuss] Choice of disks: Will 4kB Blocksize Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 64MB 2TB work OK in OI148??

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 22:54:33 UTC 2011

On 07/05/2011 12:26 a.m., Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Rather, question is how to deal with the 4kB block size!
> Choice of disks: Will 4kB Blocksize Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003
> 64MB 2TB work OK in OI148??

I can confirm,

As they "emulate" 512 sectors, yes they will "work", _but_ not as well
as Hitachi and some other brand/models, and definitely not recommended
with expanders.

Also sector alignment may need to be tinkered to improve performance.

The major issue is the fixed and very long TLER setting, which will
cause driver time-outs, especially under load.

Solaris doesn't tolerate this well, and linix isn't too fussed with raid
sets of them either.

I managed to lock up a server last week with sata bus errors on a triple
esata setup with wd20ears disks (raidz LTO5 alternative) with bacula.

Mark B.