[OpenIndiana-discuss] Update info?

Ben Taylor bentaylor.solx86 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 01:21:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 08:51 AM, Gary wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I read the thread, and that aspect I do agree with.  The part that
>>> irked me was the this makes things more familiar for Ubuntu Linux users
>>> (ir)rationale.
>>
>> I must have missed that part of the thread but sudo predates Linux by at
>> least ten years; http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/history.html
>>

> It's the same old Solaris admin versus Linux admin thingy. Any
> shortcomings/non-existing feature in Solaris are ignored/brushed off and
> anything remotely 'Linux' related gets put on the grill immediately.
>
> I can understand wanting to keep the same interfaces but making rabid
> attacks on stuff that are additional just because they are the current Linux
> practice is really irrational. Hence stuff like sudo is a Linux thing...

path of least resistance.  the do it for me attitude, instead of do it
for myself.
Are studio compilers free?  Yep.  Do many people use them?  Nope, because
they are different from gcc, and things gcc/g++ let you get away break with
the studio compilers because those were written to standards, not the whim
of a developer.   And fixing said source might mean I have to spend a little
more time making it "Solaris" ready, and then I might have to fight with the
upstream maintainers, oh my.

I'm not shocked.  In the least.