[OpenIndiana-discuss] Update info?

LinuxBSDos.com finid at linuxbsdos.com
Tue May 24 15:37:11 UTC 2011

> Unix-like OS cover a wide range from OI to Os X to Solaris to Linux to BSD
> to Linux and tbh I rather we chose the most portable version skill wise so
> we can easily tempt people to try OI and hopefully enjoy and see what's
> good about our favorite little bit of OS space.
>
> It's pretty obvious that Os X + Linux are where most people will come from
> if they try OI. Therefore that way of doing things should be the default.
> Its only 2 lines editing to return it to Solaris 10 way of doing things,
> which seems fair enough to me.
>

> Bye,
> Deano

This is the type of argument and mindset that killed innovation on the
Linux desktop. People are intelligent and we should treat them as such.
They can and will learn new stuff. They do that everyday. Doing something
(no matter how dumb it is) because that is what our target audience is
familiar with is the wrong approach.

We should strive to make things work, and work very well, even if it will
be new to our target audience. They will learn.

Start with the installer, and make it super easy to use. Automate even the
difficult steps, and give advanced users options to do things their own
way, if they feel like it. If we want to borrow ideas from others, let's
do that best on technical merit, not popularity.

At the installer level, PC-BSD has done things very well. We can borrow a
few ideas from them. It's not perfect, but it is an example of how an
installer should be. Note that PC-BSD is charting its own course, and it
seems to be doing very well. The developers are not borrowing "popular"
features.

I could go on and list all the features I wish to see on a perfect
operating system, but I do not think that is what this thread was intended
for.

Cheers,

--
Fini Decima