[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS issues and the choice of platform

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 08:24:37 UTC 2011

On 26/05/2011 9:54 a.m., Pete Ashdown wrote:
> This gives me some pause as I'm in the process of replacing Nexenta boxes that
> also had flakey reliability.  Is anyone using 148 in an enterprise situation
> with Supermicro?

I have three with 3Gb SAS, of around 40Tb.
Two are on oi148, and the last will be updated soon.
All are Supermicro X7DWN+ in 3U + 4U jbod, with 6 x 1G and 2 x 10G
network ports.
Shares are SMB and NFS (3 and 4).

These now run the Seagate 2Tb SAS interfaced disks.
The disk choice is critical with expanders.

The next one, due in about a week, will be sas2 with multipath and the
same disks.

I've had a good run, averaging two "events" a year per server which
required a reboot or in one case, a full OS reinstall.

My build recipe is a text install and bash script to add/remove packages
and configure networking etc.

I use snmp for monitoring, including fault managemnt extension.

Mark.