[OpenIndiana-discuss] Migrating zones between OpenIndiana machines

Dave Koelmeyer davekoelmeyer at me.com
Fri May 27 14:23:30 UTC 2011

On 28/05/11 01:29 AM, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:

>> From: Dave Koelmeyer<davekoelmeyer at me.com>
>> Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 06:03:41
>> To: Discussion list for OpenIndiana<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
>> Subject: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Migrating zones between OpenIndiana
>> machines
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having a hell of a time trying to simply migrate a zone from one
>> OI machine to another, wondering if anyone can help. Both machines
>> are running oi_147
>>
>> I have configured and install a NGZ on machine 1, and wish to detach
>> and install it on machine 2.
>>
>> I am following the guide here:
>>
>> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19044-01/sol.containers/819-2450/gcgnc/index.html
>>

>> On machine 1:
>>
>> First I have run zoneadm -z myzone detach
>> Then, cd /rpool/zones/zone_roots and tar cvf myzone.tar myzone/
>>
>> This creates a .tar file of the zone, which I've then copied over to
>> machine 2
>>
>> On machine 2:
>>
>> I've extracted the .tar file to /rpool/zones/zone_roots
>>
>> The above steps so far are all covered at:
>>
>> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19044-01/sol.containers/819-2450/gcglo/index.html
>>

>> So, next I run:
>> zonecfg -z myzone
>> create -a /rpool/zones/zone_roots/myzone
>>
>> I alter the zone configuration properties as needed for networking
>> etc, then commit and exit.
>>
>> Finally, I attempt to attach the zone:
>> pfexec zoneadm -z myzone attach
>>
>> at which point I get:
>> Log File: /var/tmp/myzone.attach_log.Wsaq8n
>> ERROR: no active dataset.
>> Result: Attach Failed.
>>
>> What is this referring to, and why can I not find any reference to it
>> in the documentation? Any pointers welcome :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave
>

> On 25/05/11 06:16 PM, Okky Hendriansyah wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> What are the output of "zfs list" on both machines? I think you have
>> to create the "myzone" ZFS dataset on machine 2 before attaching the
>> zone to it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Okky Hendriansyah
>
> Hi Okky,
>
> Thanks for your reply, output of machine 1 (the source machine) and
> machine 2 (the target):
>
> Machine 1:
>
> NAME                                                   USED  AVAIL
> REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> rpool/zones                                           7.80G   214G
> 34K  /rpool/zones
> rpool/zones/zone_roots                                7.80G   214G
> 35K  /rpool/zones/zone_roots
> rpool/zones/zone_roots/myzone              4.08G   214G    33K
> /rpool/zones/zone_roots/myzone
> rpool/zones/zone_roots/myzone/ROOT         4.08G   214G    31K  legacy
> rpool/zones/zone_roots/myzone/ROOT/zbe     4.08G   214G  4.01G  legacy
> [...]

As tends to happen, right after sending this I located a guide which
apparently doesn't make the assumptions in the first documentation link
I sent, specifically the section headed "Containers Residing on an
Oracle Solaris ZFS Filesystem":

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/docs/howto_movesolariscontainer_051410-1.pdf

Will work thought this and shout if I have questions...

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://davekoelmeyer.wordpress.com/