[OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox on OI

Paul Griffith paulg at cse.yorku.ca
Tue May 31 17:48:26 UTC 2011

On 05/31/11 12:47 PM, Dustin Marquess wrote:
> Currently I'm running OI 151 as a Xen 4.1.1 domU.  While I have a
> couple of other domUs on this server, the OI domU is my 'main' VM.
>
> Because of this, I'm thinking of redoing the machine and installing OI
> on the barebones hardware, and then using VirtualBox headless to run
> the other VMs when I need them.  That way OI can get all of the
> resources 95% of the time.
>
> Last time I tried doing this I was running VBox on top of FreeBSD.
> While it worked, after an hour or so the entire server would
> hard-lock, so I had to go back to Xen.
>
> Has anybody done something similar under OI?  Has is the stability?
> I'm hoping since Solaris&  VirtualBox are both Oracle products that it
> would work well, but that's just a guess.
>
> -Dustin

Hi Dustin,

I had issues with the early VirtualBox 4.0.x releases. I had to go back
to VB 3.2.12 a number of times before I settled on 4.0.6 and then 4.0.8.

The early 4.0.x releases would lock-up the VM or Solaris Express *solid*
within a few days. VB 3.2.12 was rock solid.

I would go with Xen or ESXi if my pay cheque depended on it :)

Cheers,
Paul