[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot log in to machine

Gregory Youngblood gregory at youngblood.me
Wed Nov 2 05:10:24 UTC 2011

I have seen this when the io system is completely locked. Only services that can run from cached data operate and anything that hits the locked io will hang. My guess is ssh is working but your getting hung on the part that logs your login or looks up your credentials or ssh key.

The only time it happened when I was logged in I could run commands from cached memory but when I did something that touched a drive it would hang.

When this has happened to me I have had no choice but to power cycle. It has happened probably 3-4 times over the course of ~8 years or so on Linux, Solaris and OpenSolaris, on different hardware and usually on headless systems.