[OpenIndiana-discuss] Where are my auto snapshots?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Nov 5 16:24:11 UTC 2011

Oscar del Rio <delrio at mie.utoronto.ca> writes:

> On 11/4/2011 10:32 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Yes, of course but it is also a known issue that many here (or maybe
>> its more like `some' here) have auto-snapshots working with no
>> problem. Maybe someone can tell why it is not for me. And further
>> isn't that a rather basic thing to not have working?
>
> I've installed 151a on several machines recently and auto-snapshots
> work properly in all of them.
> All I do is run "time-slider-setup" GUI as root, choose custom
> settings and only enable auto-snapshots for some filesystems
> (e.g. home dirs only).
>
> What do you get with "zfs list -t all" ?  It should list all snapshots.

It only shows a few I've made manually in a zpool of my createion.
That output is kind of long to put here but since I selected the
default `all' when enabling time-slider this should be sufficient:

  zfs list -t all
  [...]
  rpool                               4.57G  3.25G    45K  /rpool
  rpool/ROOT                          3.75G  3.25G    31K  legacy
  rpool/ROOT/openindiana              3.75G  3.25G  3.70G  /
  rpool/ROOT/openindiana at install      51.7M      -  2.74G  -
  [...]

> Have you tried it on a real machine to rule out any problem related to
> virtualbox?

I'm not sure how VB could be responsible. But no... no opportunity for
now.

I can say though that out of two recent installs of 151a in VB neither
wound up with a working time-slider.  I already posted here about the
first one...

Any ideas how I can debug this?