[OpenIndiana-discuss] [lame q] point to documentation for rescue type boot

Oscar del Rio delrio at mie.utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 10 20:20:20 UTC 2011

On 11/10/11 03:09 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I've done enough damage on an oi setup (b 151a as guest in VB on
> win7) that when I attempt to start the vm it goes thru grub and stays
> at the page one sees just before either a console or gui get launched
> where one sees the oi/illumos logo, and a horizontal bar with blue
> border and a smaller red section that runs across over and over.
>
> Well that never stops now... and boot never completes.
>
> I'm not sure what all I've done but the main thing is that I disabled
> gdm.  I did it on purpose and have done that in the past on other oi
> and os before that to make bootup go to a console instead of the gui.

press Esc key to get the login prompt.
Then remove the graphics options from the grub boot menu to get rid of
the splash screen.

# cat /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst

default 0
timeout 5
title OpenIndiana Development oi_151a X86
findroot (pool_rpool,0,a)
bootfs rpool/ROOT/openindiana
kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B $ZFS-BOOTFS
module$ /platform/i86pc/$ISADIR/boot_archive