[OpenIndiana-discuss] [lame q] point to documentation for rescue type boot

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Nov 10 20:09:27 UTC 2011

I knew how to handle this problem sometime in the past, but like so
many things, now I need it again I'm sort of drawing blanks.

I've done enough damage on an oi setup (b 151a as guest in VB on
win7) that when I attempt to start the vm it goes thru grub and stays
at the page one sees just before either a console or gui get launched
where one sees the oi/illumos logo, and a horizontal bar with blue
border and a smaller red section that runs across over and over.

Well that never stops now... and boot never completes.

(Aside:  This os has been set with 2.5 GB ram and has been able to run
fine with that...so probably that is not the problem)

Let me add here, that this OS has been running for a while... its a
newish install but has been rebooted several times and must have seen
something like 6wks of use now.

I'm not sure what all I've done but the main thing is that I disabled
gdm.  I did it on purpose and have done that in the past on other oi
and os before that to make bootup go to a console instead of the gui.

I suspect I may have done other things that are involved since like I
mentioned above, I have done this before and it just resulted in a
console login, not a hung bootup process.

I've forgotten how to get an emergency boot going... and my google
searches (and probably dumb keywords) is turning up enough stuff as to
be a bit confusing.

As I recall, this should not require booting with livecd, chroot and
such but not sure now.

I hoped someone could just point me to some docs with a walkthru.