[OpenIndiana-discuss] is the newly released orac-sol 11 an advance compared to oi?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri Nov 11 15:35:41 UTC 2011

The duty to maximize profits for investors is clear.  The duty to keep what sounded rather like a promise, but perhaps was never actually _made_ to anyone but only appeared in an internal memo, well, I'm sure we'd all want to say that was just as _morally_ binding, but enforceable?  You do the math.

It might even be in long-term enlightened self-interest, but how often do quarterly reports win, and how oftenlong-term and less quantifiable considerations?

I think that DTrace makes source all the more desirable, that customers and those that provide paid support might better speak the same language, leading to more satisfied customers and perhaps even less cost to supporting them.  I think that expanded ecosystem probably offsets subsidizing the competition, esp. since such subsidies go both ways.  There are those now who have worked with Solaris for many years as administrators and customer system analysts that argue that Linux will eventually crush all competition, regardless of technical superiority of Solaris.  _Everything_ gets commoditized eventually; you can only choose whether to lead or whether to be left behind.  In that environment, openness may do more than technical superiority to ensure survival.  But _I_ think that one OS to rule them all is just as wrong, whether that OS is open or closed.  Choose open and survive, please.

What I wonder is who would be both receptive to such arguments (politely made), and influential to act on them.