[OpenIndiana-discuss] 3x LSI 9211-8i controllers + direct attach backplane -- appear as on controller

James C. McPherson james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 23:21:39 UTC 2011

On 17/11/11 07:47 AM, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> On 11/16/11 13:27, James C. McPherson wrote:
>> (and apart from "I don't understand
>> it therefore it must be bad" I don't know why you really would)
>
> I don't like mpxio disk names -- they make me work too hard and create fear of
> doing the wrong thing.

Measure twice, format once.

> Long hex strings are much harder to distinguish than short strings and it's
> much easier to get confused between two devices.  humans are reasonably good
> at dealing with dense sets of small integers, and not quite so good at dealing
> with sparse sets of 64-bit and 128-bit values.

I take your point, and note that when I look at WWNs I've
trained myself to chunk the characters to enable easier
comparisons.

> are c2t5000C5002C68468Bd0 and c2t5000C5002C68468Bd0 the same or different?
> what about c2t5000C5002C68203Bd0 and c2t5000C5002C689ABFd0?
> are c2t5d0s0 and c2t6d0s0 the same or different?  how about sd5a and sd5a?
>
> how much time did each of those comparisons take you?  how quickly were you
> sure of your answer?

(a) not long, (b) not long.

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
               http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog