[OpenIndiana-discuss] 3x LSI 9211-8i controllers + direct attach backplane -- appear as on controller

Eric D. Mudama edmudama at bounceswoosh.org
Thu Nov 17 04:52:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16 at 13:47, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>On 11/16/11 13:27, James C. McPherson wrote:
>> (and apart from "I don't understand
>> it therefore it must be bad" I don't know why you really would)
>
>I don't like mpxio disk names -- they make me work too hard and create fear of
>doing the wrong thing.
>
>Long hex strings are much harder to distinguish than short strings and it's
>much easier to get confused between two devices.  humans are reasonably good
>at dealing with dense sets of small integers, and not quite so good at dealing
>with sparse sets of 64-bit and 128-bit values.
>
>are c2t5000C5002C68468Bd0 and c2t5000C5002C68468Bd0 the same or different?
>what about c2t5000C5002C68203Bd0 and c2t5000C5002C689ABFd0?
>
>are c2t5d0s0 and c2t6d0s0 the same or different?  how about sd5a and sd5a?
>
>how much time did each of those comparisons take you?  how quickly were you
>sure of your answer?

The important part to me is that the 000C5002C68468B above is
typically printed on the label of the drive.  Put a little sticker on
your sled with the contained WWN, and you won't make the mistake of
grabbing the wrong drive from the array again. (They need a support
group for that)

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmudama at bounceswoosh.org