[OpenIndiana-discuss] IPv6 question

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Nov 17 15:48:54 UTC 2011

Mike Hyde wrote:
> I am getting an IPv6 address via RA, but I am not getting a DNS entry via dhcpv6.

By RA, I assume you mean "stateless autoconfiguration."

For DHCPv6, see in.ndpd(1M) and dhcpagent(1M).  The way it's supposed to
work on a "normal" network is that the router (via RA messages) signals
that clients on this network should run what it calls "stateful
autoconfiguration" -- this means DHCPv6.

When this happens, in.ndpd will automatically invoke dhcpagent, and
start doing DHCPv6 to get addresses and other data, depending on the
"managed" and "other" flags in that RA message.

Depending on the configuration of your system (whether you're using NWAM
or not), you may need to set up an /etc/dhcp/eventhook to do something
useful with the "BOUND6" and "EXTEND6" events.

So, some questions:

  - Do you have explicit ndpd configuration (ndpd.conf)?  If so, do you
    have stateful autoconf disabled?

  - Is your local router configured to advertise the need for DHCPv6?
    If it can't be configured that way, then see ifconfig(1M) for ways
    to start up DHCPv6 manually.

  - What does "ifconfig -a" say about the state of the interfaces?  You
    will see "DHCP" on the IPv6 interface if DHCPv6 is running.

  - If the interface is already running DHCPv6, then try:

	dhcpinfo -i bge0 -v6 DNSAddresses

    (Replace "bge0" with the name of your interface.)

If that last bit works, then /etc/dhcp/eventhook is probably what you
need.