[OpenIndiana-discuss] vfstab and nfs

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 21:38:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Gabriele Bulfon <gbulfon at sonicle.com> wrote:
> Hi, I tried enabling the nfs/client service, but actually it just goes offline, and it doesn't mount on reboot,
> keeping the nfs/client service in offline state.
> I checked both /var/adm/messages and in /var/svc/log/ , but found nothing about any possible error.
> Still, I can mount manually just by doing mount /sources
> Any idea?
> Gabriele.

I suspect that the nfs/client services are off-line at the time mountall runs.
In a way, this is my fault.  I fixed this for smbfs some time ago, and did not
bother to fix nfs at the same time.  If you compare the files:
   /lib/svc/method/nfs-client
   /lib/svc/method/smb-client
you will see that the latter has a start method that runs mountall
with a "ctrun" so that it does not interfere with exiting the start
medhod function.  That's the key:  The nfs/client service will be
"offline" (starting) until this start method returns.  The work done
in mountall does not need to be synchronous, so simply running
that in the background (and not part of the service contract) is
an easy way to fix it.

File an issue, if you like.  ( And perhaps fix it too! :)

Thanks,
Gordon