[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS problem hangs machine

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Sat Oct 8 06:25:38 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

I'm on 151a x86

Gigabyte mother board with on board eSATA 3 which works.
An eSATA Rocket Raid card which has no drivers.

An external twin hard drive "toaster"

In order to get around the ROcket Raid card, I connect to one drive using the
on board eSATA 3 and to the other using USB.

The two 2Tb drives are connected in a mirror configuration.

I started a large copy job to them at about 7pm last night. It got to about
1am and gave this in the messages...

Oct  8 01:05:54 jaguar scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING:
/pci at 0,0/pci1458,5006 at 1a,7/hub at 1/storage at 2/disk at 0,0 (sd12):
Oct  8 01:05:54 jaguar  drive offline

...that is the last thing in the messages file before the reboot.

The terminal on the server had frozen. There was still one terminal session
open from another PC, but on attempting a ZFS STATUS, the process hung and
wouldn't return.

I couldn't get another terminal connection.

On the face of it, this ZFS failure critically crippled the machine.

I'm not sure whether I had problems doing a ZFS copy to drives in this manner
before, one on USB and one on eSATA3 ... but if I did have problems I must
have got arund it because the last backup resulted in a set of disks that I
took off site.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Many thanks,

Michelle Knight