[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Gregory Youngblood gregory at youngblood.me
Sun Oct 9 00:34:46 UTC 2011

On Oct 8, 2011, at 5:15 PM, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:

>> As Bernd Helber remarked, forums can play a significant role in Linux
>> distributions, as they allow users to "have conversations". It would be
>> great if an initiative to create one for OI could be started.
>
> I agree that forums are more user-friendly when you're searching for
> an answer that already exists. However, I find mailing lists easier to
> interact with and reply to on a regular basis. I think the reason the
> OpenSolaris forums worked so well is that each forum also had a
> mailing list bridged with it, so you got the best of both worlds (easy
> search and easy participation). My request would be the the mailing
> lists not be dumped in favor of forums, but rather set up as another
> way of participating with the forums.

+1

At least initially, having the mailing list bridged with the forums provides best of all possibilities.

If we see a nice surge in users/traffic, then the volume might tend to cause mailing list traffic to grow too unwieldy, but we can cross that bridge if we ever get to it. And, it would be a great problem to have too. :)

Greg