[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek jeffpc at josefsipek.net
Sun Oct 9 14:39:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 04:20:50PM +0200, Alexander Lesle wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> my opinion is that when we want to get openindiana popular that we
> need first a good documentation. Not only a good documentation for
> geeks but rather also for endusers.

I see no reason why the two projects can't happen at the same time.  Writing
good documentation takes time (especially if it is multilingual).  It would
be silly to postpone everything else just to have documentation first.

> Look at Ubuntu for the last 3 years. In the meantime they had a good
> documentation and a active community where you get help when you have
> problems. And they offered it in several languages because not
> everyone understand English so good that he understand the man-pages.

When Ubuntu started off, they "inherited" a lot of good stuff from Debian.
Perhaps we could use Sun's OpenSolaris documentation as a starting point?
(Depends on the licensing, of course.)

> The openindiana wiki is outdated and confused, so I play in the last
> two weeks with www.dokuwiki.org. It can be set multilingual but my
> knowledge about openindiana is "half-depth" because I play with it
> until one year.

The wiki software itself is fine.  It's the content that is lacking.

> When we find enough engaged guys who want to help to bring up a
> multilanguage documentation I will have a look for some webspaces.

I think, and I'm no expert, that the first step should be to have
decent documentation in *one* language and then go on a translation rampage.

Regardless, we need documentation.

Jeff.

--
Defenestration n. (formal or joc.):
  The act of removing Windows from your computer in disgust, usually