[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek jeffpc at josefsipek.net
Sun Oct 9 17:43:20 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 06:17:24PM +0200, Alexander Lesle wrote:
> Hello LinuxBSDos.com and List,
>
> On Oktober, 09 2011, 17:59 <LinuxBSDos.com> wrote in [1]:
>

> > Not all responses to questions in a forum will be of good quality. As in
> > life, there will be good and not-so-good ones. It's the nature of things.
> > Along the same lines, there will be "bad" questions, usually from noobs.
> > That's were the community steps in, to help the noob move to the next
> > step.
>
> > I do not have the final say on this, but my proposal with respects to the
> > online presence of OI, is to retool the website, with an updated wiki, and
> > a forum-like app for more formal question and answer sessions and general
> > discussions.
>
> > We need to build a vibrant community where noobs and guru-level users can
> > communicate freely
>
> I am with you with all your arguments but we have to wait to the
> decision makers.

Don't just "wait" - try something.

The test forum that got set up is *something*.  Not much is happenning
there, and I want to play with it a bit more over the next couple of days.
(The color scheme is a bit weird, but that's not important right now.)

What I'm trying to say is...if you want to start a documentation project -
just do it.  OpenIndiana in a community project and so there are no
"decision makers".  In a way, everyone is a decision maker.  So, if you want
to do documentation, start collecting it.  There's a lot out there.  What
wiki software ends up being used for it (if any) is not really relevant to
the project start.

Jeff.

--
FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #19
A:      To be or not to be.