[OpenIndiana-discuss] Customized startup commands?

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Oct 9 16:09:36 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 11:44:21AM -0400, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> I was referring to the manifest comment.  Yes, I know I can diddle things
> the way you described.  If we want to get people from the Linux and BSD
> communities onboard, OpenSolaris should be more amenable to things like this
> that almost any SysAdmin is going to do a some time or another.  I've
> literally lost track of the number of times I've wanted to do something, and
> the 'usual method' doesn't work, and I have to fire up google and see how
> OpenSolaris does it.

Software packages that require SMF should come with a manifest and
method already.  The IPS package scheme even has a way to import the
manifest automatically.

For the others, maybe we need an SMF builder?  The difficult part is
dependancies.  Perhaps it would only need to offer a series of general
choices for those.  SMF has many advanced features too, but those
could be omitted for these simple cases.