[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Mon Oct 10 22:47:18 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Gunderson [mailto:kgunders at teamcool.net]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 5:44 PM
To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 17:32 -0400, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> A couple of thoughts: OSX is a dreadful wrong example.  If you polled 1
> million Mac users and asked them 'what OS runs under the hood?', my guess
is
> 95% would have no idea what you are talking about.  Secondly, throwing
vague
> statements out about the 'shortcomings of linux' is at best non-helpful,
and
> at worst discredits you.  I am a Software Engineer, and it irks me to no
end
> to have to retain N different tool/command sets in my memory for no good
> reason.  Whether you like it or not, Linux (and to a lesser extent, the
> various BSD dialects) are what most folks know and are comfortable with.
> Presenting them with yet another flavor of Unix, with a command/tool set
> that is too distant is going to result in the person walking away and
> settling for redhat/ubuntu/debian or whatever.  I kind of hinted at this
in
> an earlier post - if I didn't have to use OI or some flavor of OS to get
ZFS
> for my SAN, I would have gone elsewhere like a shot.  BSD and Linux are
> pretty close when most of the commands are considered - OS is much less
so,
> and that is what is going to relegate it to a niche system unless
something
> changes.  And no, I'm not an opposing fanboy or basher, just a realist...

But... OI DOES have ZFS.  And Linux effectively does not.  Hence viva
la' difference because had OI copied Linux it would not either.

*** Sigh.  This was 1000% of my point.  OS command/tools are different
enough from BSD/Linux that I'm really not interested in learning a whole new
way of doing things, but I've had little choice due to the ZFS issues.