[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Mon Oct 10 21:44:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 17:32 -0400, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> A couple of thoughts: OSX is a dreadful wrong example.  If you polled 1
> million Mac users and asked them 'what OS runs under the hood?', my guess is
> 95% would have no idea what you are talking about.  Secondly, throwing vague
> statements out about the 'shortcomings of linux' is at best non-helpful, and
> at worst discredits you.  I am a Software Engineer, and it irks me to no end
> to have to retain N different tool/command sets in my memory for no good
> reason.  Whether you like it or not, Linux (and to a lesser extent, the
> various BSD dialects) are what most folks know and are comfortable with.
> Presenting them with yet another flavor of Unix, with a command/tool set
> that is too distant is going to result in the person walking away and
> settling for redhat/ubuntu/debian or whatever.  I kind of hinted at this in
> an earlier post - if I didn't have to use OI or some flavor of OS to get ZFS
> for my SAN, I would have gone elsewhere like a shot.  BSD and Linux are
> pretty close when most of the commands are considered - OS is much less so,
> and that is what is going to relegate it to a niche system unless something
> changes.  And no, I'm not an opposing fanboy or basher, just a realist...

But... OI DOES have ZFS.  And Linux effectively does not.  Hence viva
la' difference because had OI copied Linux it would not either.

My comment was not directed at anyone in particular, but more broadly
scoped to include various posts that seem to keep holding up Linux like
it's the holy grail.  I don't need another Linux option.  I do have an
interest/need in something better than Linux, e.g. zfs, dtrace, and
other enterprise grade features that Linux presently lacks.

--
Regards-- Ken Gunderson