[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Mon Oct 10 22:53:55 UTC 2011

And this continues to miss the point.  This is what is so frustrating to me
(going back years...)  Techies like you guys make a decision based on the
technical merits, but 95% of the manager/sysadmin types are going to look at
the learning curve (and don't bother telling me it doesn't exist or is
trivial - maybe in your book, not in theirs), and ask "why on earth do we
want to do X when our admins will have to learn all kinds of new crap???"
FWIW, if zfsguru was more stable and didn't have a single dev, I would have
switched to it in a heartbeat.  I know my way around most linuxes (and even
freebsd) in my sleep, but honestly, it's beyond frustrating to find out that
there is no obvious way to do the /etc/rc.local thing I kvetched about
earlier (or an alternative, to put an entry in the crontab with '@reboot',
oh wait, the opensolaris cron doesn't support that feature...)  And yes, I
know none of these things are killers in themselves, it's the death of a
thousand cuts.  Folks, I *want* opensolaris in some flavor to prosper, but
when I hear evangelists complaining about "why should we make this MORE like
linux, etc..."  The answer "SO PEOPLE WILL USE IT?!"  Sorry, I'm tired and
out of sorts, and I saw freebsd lose this battle to linux years ago with the
same short-sighted attitude and now it's happening again with OS (btw, does
anyone have a comment about nexenta providing debian userland tools like
apt?)