[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Tue Oct 11 00:08:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 18:53 -0400, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> And this continues to miss the point.  This is what is so frustrating to me
> (going back years...)  Techies like you guys make a decision based on the
> technical merits, but 95% of the manager/sysadmin types are going to look at
> the learning curve (and don't bother telling me it doesn't exist or is
> trivial - maybe in your book, not in theirs), and ask "why on earth do we
> want to do X when our admins will have to learn all kinds of new crap???"
> FWIW, if zfsguru was more stable and didn't have a single dev, I would have
> switched to it in a heartbeat.  I know my way around most linuxes (and even
> freebsd) in my sleep, but honestly, it's beyond frustrating to find out that
> there is no obvious way to do the /etc/rc.local thing I kvetched about
> earlier (or an alternative, to put an entry in the crontab with '@reboot',
> oh wait, the opensolaris cron doesn't support that feature...)  And yes, I
> know none of these things are killers in themselves, it's the death of a
> thousand cuts.  Folks, I *want* opensolaris in some flavor to prosper, but
> when I hear evangelists complaining about "why should we make this MORE like
> linux, etc..."  The answer "SO PEOPLE WILL USE IT?!"  Sorry, I'm tired and
> out of sorts, and I saw freebsd lose this battle to linux years ago with the
> same short-sighted attitude and now it's happening again with OS (btw, does
> anyone have a comment about nexenta providing debian userland tools like
> apt?)

FreeBSD "loosing" any battle is debatable.  I do feel compelled to point
out, however, that Linus himself has said that if not for the legal
battle that was waging between att and uc regents at the time, he would
have just used bsd.  Linux later experienced, and survived, some legal
wrangling of its own.

Plenty of people use FreeBSD.  And OpenBSD.  Often w/o knowing as as
they silently pass/filter packets, server up smtp, http, etc. That these
desktop users are not running these platforms on their peecee's does
mean that they don't still use them extensively as they move about the
Internet.  And I guess it is equally frustrating and exasperating that
some continue to just not get this.

Peace :_)

--
Regards-- Ken Gunderson