[OpenIndiana-discuss] Howto proceed, when new to (openindiana) development

Per Sjoholm Per.t.Sjoholm at flysta.net
Tue Oct 11 08:04:51 UTC 2011

Currently I'm running a centos 5 server.

I have a spare machine that I have centos6(C6) and OpenIndiana 151a(oi).
This machine is replacing the current server and will have x TB of disk.
Thinking of 4-5 x WD RE4 2Tb/1TB to start with

It's a mbr boot, NOT a EFI boot.
I'm also testing out GPT label disks.
2 disks c2 80gb ata(mbr) and on c3 a 320GB sata(GPT).
oi on a c2 p2
Created a zpool tank with one partition from c2 and c3.
tank kan be seen from C6 and from oi.

Planning on changing to openindiana, primarily to get ZFS and zones.

I run web,dns,dhcp, tftp, sendmail, torrents, fax(connected to sendmail), backup  and use a UPS
The new server is also handling backup and storage for clients.

Does packages exist for
hylafax fax    http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/ (not same as hylafax.org)
bacula  backup http://www.bacula.org/
nut     ups    http://www.networkupstools.org/

This means that I have to build a number of packages.
An idea was to build them as a package's to contribute.

I'm new to solaris and experienced in computers and systems.
I have been running a development/system verification test lab with redundent sunos blades.

I have a lot to learn :)
I believe in just jumping in.

Suggestion on howto proceed

--