[OpenIndiana-discuss] Howto proceed, when new to (openindiana) development

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek jeffpc at josefsipek.net
Wed Oct 12 00:06:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:04:51AM +0200, Per Sjoholm wrote:
> Currently I'm running a centos 5 server.
>
> I have a spare machine that I have centos6(C6) and OpenIndiana 151a(oi).
> This machine is replacing the current server and will have x TB of disk.
> Thinking of 4-5 x WD RE4 2Tb/1TB to start with
>
> It's a mbr boot, NOT a EFI boot.
> I'm also testing out GPT label disks.
> 2 disks c2 80gb ata(mbr) and on c3 a 320GB sata(GPT).
> oi on a c2 p2
> Created a zpool tank with one partition from c2 and c3.
> tank kan be seen from C6 and from oi.
>
> Planning on changing to openindiana, primarily to get ZFS and zones.
>
> I run web,dns,dhcp, tftp, sendmail, torrents, fax(connected to sendmail), backup  and use a UPS
> The new server is also handling backup and storage for clients.
>
> Does packages exist for
> hylafax fax    http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/ (not same as hylafax.org)
> bacula  backup http://www.bacula.org/
> nut     ups    http://www.networkupstools.org/
>

> This means that I have to build a number of packages.
> An idea was to build them as a package's to contribute.
>
> I'm new to solaris and experienced in computers and systems.
> I have been running a development/system verification test lab with redundent sunos blades.
>
> I have a lot to learn :)
> I believe in just jumping in.
>
> Suggestion on howto proceed

Hello!

We have a mailing list for development (oi-dev at ...) and an IRC channel
(#oi-dev on FreeNode).  I strongly suggest that you go into the IRC channel
since you'll get help there much more quickly.

Regardless, OI is switching to a unified build system, called oi-build -
yes, not very creative.  There is a wiki page that describes how to get
started with it: http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-build

Once you get the hang of the system, it's pretty easy to add new packages.

Welcome aboard!

Jeff.

--
UNIX is user-friendly ... it's just selective about who its friends are