[OpenIndiana-discuss] Familiarity, was Re: Help with website

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Tue Oct 11 20:24:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Gabriel de la Cruz <
gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com> wrote:

> It takes 2 comands to learn smf, swaping from ubuntu to gentoo is damn
> harder than reading the Solaris howtos.

I think the biggest problem I had adapting to SMF is it's very opaque
compared to what I was used to.  It's somewhat reminiscent of the Windows
registry that way; you're manipulating a black box database with commands,
instead of editing flat files.

The second biggest problem I had is I find XML confusing.  It's only sort of
human-readable. ;)

Like anything it gets easier with experience, and there are decided
advantages to it; it's just a bit of a jolt for people who are used to nice
UNIX-y text scripts that you can just go and look at.  It seems more aimed
at the convenience of packaging scripts than at being manipulated by actual
humans. ;)

--
David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics