[OpenIndiana-discuss] ssh sessions timing out?

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Oct 13 15:14:56 UTC 2011

Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> Okay, now I know what is happening (but not why).  I remote desktop to
> my home system just now and saw the same abort nonsense.  Pulled up the
> window with the wireshark capture running.  The last N entries were tcp
> retransmissions from my win7 box to OI, followed by the expected RST
> when no ACK was forthcoming.  And this was the ipv6 session - the ipv4
> one is still going strong, so as soon as I have a chance to bounce nwam
> after disabling ipv6, that's my next step.

That's consistent with a hardware checksum offload mechanism or similar
data-garbling scheme.

Check "netstat -ni" and "netstat -s" output to see if there are any
counters bouncing upwards.  (Depending on OS version, there's also
"dladm show-link -s" or "dlstat show -h".)  Also, depending on the
driver, "kstat" may be helpful in getting really low-level diagnostic
information.