[OpenIndiana-discuss] XNV_174a and 175a

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Oct 17 14:41:25 UTC 2011

On 10/17/11 05:30 AM, Ian Johnson wrote:
> I just noticed an article on the OI wiki with instructions for building
> newer versions of X than the one included with oi_151a (
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+XNV_174a+on+oi_151a). I'm a bit
> unclear on the contents because it alternately refers to both XNV_174a and
> XNV_175a. The latest version I see in the Mercurial repository is 174a, but
> the article mentions success building 175a and suggests updating to 175a for
> Sandy Bridge graphics support. Does this mean Sandy Bridge graphics are not
> supported by XNV_174a? I'm interested in a laptop that comes with Intel HD
> 3000 graphics and want to explore the possibility of getting it to work
> using the instructions in this article.

I don't think the intel driver in either 174a or 175a will be at all operable
on the illumos kernel as it expects a kernel i915 module that supports
Kernel Mode-Setting (KMS), which no one has ported to illumos yet (though I
know of at least one person trying to).

The differences between 174a & 175a have nothing to do with Intel graphics
- they're simply unrelated bug fixes as you can see in the hg log:

http://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/oracle/xnv/shortlog

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com