[OpenIndiana-discuss] Aggregation performance measurement

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Mon Oct 17 15:12:45 UTC 2011

Hi,
I recently could join an old Sun Sparc machine to an OpenIndiana storage, by adding a couple of
ethernets to the Sparc machine running Solaris 10/08.
The Sparc machine is now connected to the storage switch, LACP capable.
I understand that dladm on Solaris 10 is still different from the OpenIndiana version, so maybe
the problem I see comes from here.
I created two trunks of two ports each on the switch, connected the Sparc on one trunk, the storage
on the other trunk, aggregated cards on both machines through dladm, configured aggr1 on both
machines, verified that machines can see each other.
All four links are up and quiet on the switch, nothing was moving.
So I used "netio" to check network throughput, resulting around 90MB/sec: strange, this is
less than 1Gb/sec! Is aggregation workgin?
So, I started transfering data from the Sparc to the storage via NFS, and looking at the switch,
I could see one machine working on both ports of his trunk, while the other one was almost
working on just one port......that is something more than 1Gb/sec!....why??
So I tried removing the "sleeping" cable, and measured the same throughput....
Strangely, I tried removing the "working" cable, and insterted the "sleeping" one, and still
everything was working on one port, the "sleeping" one became operational.
Added again the second one, and that was become the "sleeping" one....
Looks like aggregation is not using all the available throughput......what am I missing? is there
any incompatibility between Solaris10/08 and OpenIndiana?
Thanx for any help.
Gabriele.