[OpenIndiana-discuss] e2fsprogs header file bug

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Fri Oct 28 12:29:24 UTC 2011

On 10/28/11 06:45, Andrey N. Oktyabrski wrote:
> Good day.
>
> In which bug tracker I must create a bug report for this issue?
>
> (Cite from:
> http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=45491)
>
> The problem is that on OI-151 EXT2_IOC_GETFLAGS is defined as
>

>     _IOR('f', 1, long)
>

>  where _IOR is defined in drm/drm.h which is not included.
>  To me this looks like a bug in OpenIndiana.

At a guess, I suspect that what's going on here is that you have a
/usr/include/ext2/fs.h that's delivered by libparted, and this other
software is "assuming" that if this file is present, then all things in
it must work and it must correspond to a kernel feature.

I think that's a bit of a brash assumption on the part of the author of
that libarchive software.  Just because you troll through /usr/include
and find a file there does not automatically mean it'll do what you
think it does -- basically, any package can add a file to that directory
for any reason, not just bona fide parts of the OS.

One thing you could do would be to find out what installed that file,
and then go ask the author of that package whether he thinks he should
be delivering the file:

	pkg search -lp /usr/include/ext2/fs.h

My guess, though, is that he's really not at fault here, and that the
fault really lies with the software that is making assumptions about
what those files represent.  Writing portable software is harder than
that.  Reading through that problem report, though, makes it sound like
those other developers aren't going to agree with me.  :-/