[OpenIndiana-discuss] QEMU no SCSI boot

Russell Hansen russhan at new-swankton.net
Thu Sep 29 21:58:28 UTC 2011

I've got a Windows Server 2003 system that I'm trying to P2V to KVM on OpenIndiana 151a.

The physical system installed on a disk connected to an LSI U320 adapter.  I ran the VMWare vCenter Converter to generate a .vmdk file.

My KVM start command:

/usr/bin/qemu-kvm \
-name server.domain.tld \
-enable-kvm \
-smp 2 \
-m 1024 \
-no-hpet \
-localtime \
-drive file=/kvm/server.domain.tld/server.vmdk,if=scsi,index=0 \
-vnc :1 \
-vga std \
-daemonize

If I use if=scsi I get the following message:

Booting from Hard Disk...
Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

If I use if=ide the system will boot but it rapidly blue-screens with 0x7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Is this a bug?  A limitation?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

-Russ