[OpenIndiana-discuss] Is there any implementation of VSS for a ZFS iSCSI snapshot on Solaris?

Leonid Korokh lkorokh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 13:16:41 UTC 2011

Hi,
When you are exporting block device via ISCSI to Windows host, Windows see
it like a direct attached scsi disk. VSS is the feature of Windows and it
works on block level of the disk device. So snapshots made by VSS will not
be seen as zfs snapshots and vise versa. Moreover there are no command in
SCSI protocol that describes snapshot functionality.  As i know for now
there is no existing implementation of VSS provider that can integrate
snapshot functionality from zfs and NTFS. And as I can see it will never be
done because it's really hard to implement VSS+zfs snapshot provider for
Windows.
Leonid S. Korokh
CIO
Aladdin Russia