[OpenIndiana-discuss] Single User Mode?? How??

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Tue Apr 10 13:56:34 UTC 2012

I can't seem to make the standard way to boot into single user mode from
grub work, but then, again, I'm reading linux docs, really.

I start up.
Get to grub
stop the booting
select my OS version
go to the kernel$ line
add "single" at the end....

If I type RETURN (ENTER for the PC guys) at the end, the edit seems to
stick.

I do just one ESC, to the "edit OS entry" screen, and type "b".

No joy, it just gets to multiuser mode.

I've been looking at the various docs on the net, nothing obviously
relevant springs to my screen.

Help!

( I need to reset the root password, I got busy with other things for a
while, and forgot the root password. )