[OpenIndiana-discuss] probable NWAM problems [was Re: REALTEK network card and pppoe config]

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Wed Apr 11 15:22:29 UTC 2012

On 2012-04-11 13:30, James Carlson wrote:
> Robin Axelsson wrote:
>> Disabling network interfaces with nwan is no rocket science. If you go
>> to e.g. System->Administration->Network,
>> you can disable whatever interfaces you want in the GUI by editing
>> "network profile". The process is straightforward
>> and I didn't read any documentation to get there. The change made the
>> disabled interface disappear from ifconfig -a entirely.
> Good to hear.

>> I must say that I'm experiencing issues with the network connection, at
>> least in the physical host. There are intermittent hiccups in the
>> connection when transferring data with CIFS. They are less frequent than
>> before when I had both network interfaces enabled and therefore it has
>> taken some time for me to discover it.
> It's unclear what that problem might be.  There are many possibilities:
>
>    - maybe the interface itself is experiencing errors
>    - maybe the server has problems
>    - maybe there are other undiagnosed routing problems
>    - maybe the bizarre and unfortunate PPPoE 1492 MTU is to blame
>    - maybe you're seeing higher-level bugs
>
> I'm afraid you'll need to gather information in order to determine
> what's going wrong.  I can suggest a few approaches that will be useful:
>
>    - gather information from the affected subsystems and the system
>      itself; sometimes the errors are visible there
>
>    - try isolating particular areas; for example, you could use snoop
>      or wireshark to trace the network traffic to see if the problems
>      appear to be on the local system or are on some remote system
I have tagged your post and when I get around to it, I will try to do
some further troubleshooting. Gathering "hard information" requires
quite a bit of time and effort which I don't have right now.

- maybe this could be due to the HBA waiting for some hard drive to respond
- maybe the problems are within the client and not the server

I believe a good first step is to switch to
"svc:/network/physical:default" and see if the problems get fixed.

> In any event, reporting a plain text description of the problem is
> unlikely to get much attention from anyone who might be able to help.
> Hard data is much more valuable.
>
>> Also, after every 4-5 power cycles something gets messed up with the
>> VirtualBox vboxflt driver which prevents virtual machines to start up,
>> particularly on systems that use the e1000g driver which means any
>> system that use Intel based NICs. Some people say that it most likely is
>> the nwam that is the culprit of this nuisance.
> Sorry; no idea.  I haven't seen that sort of behavior before.

This is actually a pretty common error. See for example this forum post
on the VirtualBox website:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40509

I would actually be more surprised if there were someone who managed to
get VirtualBox to run virtual Windows guests (particularly Win7 x64
guests) without these issues (assuming that an e1000g driver based NIC
is used, i.e. Intel NIC and nwam).

So, I'm not a special snowflake who just happen to be "cursed" with
these issues ;)

Robin.