[OpenIndiana-discuss] Qmail-to-go on openindiana?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Apr 25 15:38:23 UTC 2012

On 25/04/12 11:06 PM, Gary Gendel wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I've replaced my qmail chain for SASL delivery with postfix. It took me
> a few rounds to get all the bits I needed working, but I'm good with the
> results.
>
> The non-SASL chain will be a big nut to crack. There are a lot of useful
> spam features in spamdyke that I haven't found an equivalent for in
> postfix. For example, spamdyke can find an ip address buried in the fqdn
> and check if it matches the sending MTA's ip address. This can be done
> for the domains you specify. I have the one spamdyke option turned on to
> do this against all country code domains. I also have a list of about 60
> other domains to do this against.

...piece of cake...

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_client_hostname

That provides what you want to check fqdn->ip = client ip

To restrict that check to specific domains, you can make use of
restriction classes. http://www.postfix.org/RESTRICTION_CLASS_README.html

> If it weren't for spamdyke, I wouldn't have an issue but Sam Clippinger
> did an impressive job at making an open source anti-spam tool
> specifcally for qmail that beats anything else I've seen.

I've only heard of spamdyke now (sorry, I got off the qmail for
incoming/front line/first stage a long time ago) but there is mimedefang
if postfix's own facilities are not good enough for you.

> As for the dot-qmail stuff. I've moved away from that quite awhile ago
> except for my mailing lists which I don't have a problem shutting down.

Ah. I'm using dovecot's lda with sieve support. Postfix will happily use
procmail, maildrop, dovecot lda, cyrus, whatever except qmail-local.