[OpenIndiana-discuss] Qmail-to-go on openindiana?

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Wed Apr 25 16:17:29 UTC 2012

On 4/25/12 11:38 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On 25/04/12 11:06 PM, Gary Gendel wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> I've replaced my qmail chain for SASL delivery with postfix. It took me
>> a few rounds to get all the bits I needed working, but I'm good with the
>> results.
>>
>> The non-SASL chain will be a big nut to crack. There are a lot of useful
>> spam features in spamdyke that I haven't found an equivalent for in
>> postfix. For example, spamdyke can find an ip address buried in the fqdn
>> and check if it matches the sending MTA's ip address. This can be done
>> for the domains you specify. I have the one spamdyke option turned on to
>> do this against all country code domains. I also have a list of about 60
>> other domains to do this against.
>
> ...piece of cake...
>
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_client_hostname
>
> That provides what you want to check fqdn->ip = client ip

That isn't what spamdyke is trying to accomplish here.  This checks to
see if the sender is trying to spoof the MTA.  What spamdyke is trying
to do is to blacklist emails based upon the ip address embedded in the
sending domain name. For example:

If I get mail from 208.1.48.3 and it's reverse domain lookup resolves to
customer.208.001_48.3.sample.com and sample.com is on my list it is blocked.

Gary