[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hitachi 4 TB disks + HP Microserver + OI 151 + ZFS

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 07:24:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012, Enrico wrote:

> did a little research, just because i'm curious about this, my storage needs
> are much lower :)
>
> they say
> (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13963218&postcount=4727)
> that SB820M south-bridge on n40l has a limit of 3.2tb for hdd capacity. but
> there are no such details on the official specs:
> support.amd.com/us/Embedded_TechDocs/47283.pdf
> i hope this helps a bit

A comment from a poster called 'AFireInside' on this same forum says AMD
confirms that 4 TB disks will work in the N40L Microserver:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=a97e85a928a1e6997245557220f4b729&t=1009531&page=2

Also, HP's own specifications confirm that this unit is suitable for 4 TB
disks:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13716_div/13716_div.html

A lot of the comments saying otherwise seem to relate to the earlier N36L
model, earlier BIOS versions and booting Windows from disks larger than
3.2 TB.

As for using Advanced Format disks with 4K sectors in ZFS pools, the worst
case scenario would be that these disks can be used in a
backwards-compatible legacy 512 byte sector format but with slower r/w
performance. Also, Hitachi provide a Windows utility to re-align 4k
sectors on their drives although I'm not sure whether this would suit
OI/ZFS.

Finally, it looks like OI has some support for 4k sector disks:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4883847

and ZFS pools can be created with the 'zpool create block-size 4096 ...'
option.

I'll take the plunge and order a N40L Microserver plus 3 x 4 TB disks and
I'll post my experiences here.

cheers, Andy