[OpenIndiana-discuss] Desktop environment

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 11:22:34 UTC 2012

Northwoods wrote:
> After getting acqwainted with oi reps I found no trace of any DE but gnome. I also could not find no openbox or any other light wm. No libreoffice and some other alternative apps. Seems like all is a  work in progress. But why does my gnome desktop is still noticably sluggish at drawing windows, even after I've installed ati drivers for my laptop radeon 3200 hd?
Ati/Amd does not make proprietary drivers for SunOS / Solaris, therefore
no proprietary driver is available for Illumos/Openindiana.
Also, no KMS(Kernel mode settings) is ported yet to Illumos (it exist in
closed source Solaris11 OS/Net),
so OpenIndiana users have an option of
using Nvidia graphics cards that have Solaris drivers and/or using Intel
graphics (not newest).