[OpenIndiana-discuss] Access to ZFS viz CIFS from windows regularly hangs.

John McEntee jmcentee at stirling-dynamics.com
Thu Aug 2 15:04:55 UTC 2012

I have an update on my running CIFS and windows saga.

Getting samba installed and joined to the domain is a challenge and a half,
and is still not authenticating (trying on a test server).

What I have done is stop using a dns alias to connect to the OpenIndiana
server. So whereas before I was using the servers real name to connect to a
H: drive (for my documents etc) and a dns alias (CNAME) to connect the
company wide file share S: Drive. (the intention I could fail over to a
different and just update dns). I had noticed that it was mainly the S:
drive not responding while the H: Drive would continue to work (but not
always). I changed my login scripts to use the OpenIndiana servers real name
for the S drive as well, and have had not reported problems since. I did
this change just over a week ago.

Should OpenIndiana support a dns alias like this? It requires a registry
change on a windows server to work, but I believe the registry change just
effect that windows server, and is required for it to work at all.

Regards

John

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential and are solely for the person(s) at the e-mail address(es) above. If you are not an addressee, you may not disclose, distribute, copy or use this e-mail, and we request that you send an e-mail to admin at stirling-dynamics.com and delete this e-mail.  Stirling Dynamics Ltd. accepts no legal liability for the contents of this e-mail including any errors, interception or interference, as internet communications are not secure.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Stirling Dynamics Ltd. Registered In England No. 2092114 Registered Office: 26 Regent Street, Clifton, Bristol. BS8 4HG
VAT no. GB 464 6551 29