[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS Snapshot question

Mark Creamer whitetr6 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 20:53:36 UTC 2012

I'd like to see if I can easily go back and fix a design error I made. I
have a zpool called datastore, and under that a filesystem called vmimages.
I'm auto-snapshotting at that level, and that's all working fine. However,
there are twenty or so sub-directories under datastore/vmimages, each of
which has the files for a VMware guest. Example, datastore/vmimages/server1
has all the files for VM Guest server1, etc.

What I should have done (I think) is set up the zfs file system for each VM
at the level below ../vmimages, that is:  "zfs create
datastore/vmimages/server1". That way, auto-snapshot would be creating
snapshots for each VM, rather than for the entire ../vmimages file system
each time.

So, is there an easy way to make a separate zfs file system for each of the
existing directories below ../vmimages? I am able to take the VM guests
down to do this as needed.

Thanks,

--
Mark