[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS fails to automount at boot

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Aug 6 13:21:29 UTC 2012

Daniel Kjar wrote:
> Thanks for asking about this. I had just assumed the same.  Machines I
> updated all the way from opensolaris still mounted nfs at boot but my
> clean 151a5s did not.  Very annoying when apache fails cause it didn't
> mount htdocs from the file server.

OK.  It's possible that I'm just wrong about this.  The only case where
I've seen NFS entries in /etc/vfstab was with mount-at-boot set to "no."
 (And since the introduction of ZFS, I don't really put much in vfstab
anymore.)

In any event, I think automount provides an easier-to-manage solution.
And unlike some other operating systems, it actually works reliably on
OpenIndiana.

But regardless of mounting mechanism, I don't think I'd consider using
NFS for anything under /etc.  It sort of defeats the point of that
directory to have anything remote there.  Even if I'm sharing
configuration between machines, I set up rsync to keep them up-to-date,
so that a failure (or unreachability) of the NFS server doesn't cause
otherwise-independent machines to fail.