[OpenIndiana-discuss] rpool on mirrored USB flash drives

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 14:21:24 UTC 2012

I'm considering rebuilding my home server (an HP MicroServer) for some
higher capacity and dumping the single 250GB rpool disk and instead
replace it with a pair of USB flash sticks (no need to preserve data,
I'll copy stuff around and help the system along with booting). The
question is, is this a good way to go about it? I plan on using the USB
sticks only for holding rpool and booting off of them. All other data
will be on a RAID-z consisting of 4x 2TB disks, so speed isn't all that
necessary. I'm somewhat constrained by the number of SATA ports
available, but I have plenty of USB slots (1 internal and 6 external)
where I could put the media (and since the box is hidden away in a
closet, nobody is ever going to be touching it).

Are there any gotchas with using USB attached storage as boot media in
OI? Any experience with that? (For all I know, it's smooth and working.)

Cheers,
--
Saso