[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing TrueType Fonts

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 07:21:36 UTC 2012

> I was able to download the webfonts.tar.gz package, un-tar/gunzip it, which
> leaves me with a group of Microsoft executables, one for each font. I then
> used cabextract running on a Linux box to extract all the TTFs from the
> Microsoft exe. I then copied the fonts into /etc/fonts on the OI box, and
> ran fc-cache /etc/fonts. That finishes without giving me an error, but the
> developer of the report tells me the font is still not working.

First of all cabextract is available in binary form for Solars,

please have a look at http://www.cabextract.org.uk/

Second, just create a new folder in  /usr/share/fonts/ and
call it, say, MoreTrueType and copy there all your TrueType
fonts. BTW, you can do the same with OpenType fonts. Then you
can run fc-cache. For example, I have installed using this
"technique" a number of OpenType fonts that I can used in
OpenOffice and other applications:

A.S.