[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing TrueType Fonts

Mark Creamer whitetr6 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:05:38 UTC 2012

Finally figured it out. No idea if each of these steps is required, but it
worked:

1.       Copy the ttf files to /usr/share/fonts

2.       pkg install font-utilities (if not already installed)

3.       Run mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts

4.       Run mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts

5.       Run fc-cache /usr/share/fonts

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos
<asyropoulos at yahoo.com>wrote:

> > I was able to download the webfonts.tar.gz package, un-tar/gunzip it,
> which
> > leaves me with a group of Microsoft executables, one for each font. I
> then
> > used cabextract running on a Linux box to extract all the TTFs from the
> > Microsoft exe. I then copied the fonts into /etc/fonts on the OI box, and
> > ran fc-cache /etc/fonts. That finishes without giving me an error, but
> the
> > developer of the report tells me the font is still not working.
> >

> First of all cabextract is available in binary form for Solars,
>
> please have a look at http://www.cabextract.org.uk/
>
> Second, just create a new folder in  /usr/share/fonts/ and
> call it, say, MoreTrueType and copy there all your TrueType
> fonts. BTW, you can do the same with OpenType fonts. Then you
> can run fc-cache. For example, I have installed using this
> "technique" a number of OpenType fonts that I can used in
> OpenOffice and other applications:
>

> A.S.

Mark