[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing TrueType Fonts

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Aug 8 15:09:52 UTC 2012

On 08/ 7/12 11:49 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
>> 3.       Run mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts
>> 4.       Run mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts
>>

> Well I think these commands are not necessary anymore as they were
> some sort of "support" files in order for X to be able to use them.

They are needed for the old X font system, the one in which you specify
fonts with names like -microsoft-comic sans-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
but are not needed for the modern font system (fontconfig & freetype) used by
most GNOME apps, in which fonts have more human readable names such as
"Comic Sans MS:style=Regular".   Only the new system has antialiased fonts,
so if you're seeing antialiased text you know which is in use.

For deeper levels of detail, see:
http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/fonts/fonts.html

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com